September 17, 2017

Mired in a Poetry State of Mind

This week I was sidetracked by poetry.  There is very little of poetry that I like, but this one by Lord Byron (George Gordon Byron; English poet) is definitely one of my favorites.  I hope you enjoy it, as well.


Lines Inscribed upon a Cup Formed from a Skull

When a skull "of giant size and in a perfect state of preservation" was found in the garden of Newstead Abbey, "a strange fancy seized me," Byron told Medwin, "of having it mounted as a drinking cup. I accordingly sent it to town, and it returned with a very high polish and of a nottled colour like tortoise-shell"

1
Start Not – nor deem my spirit fled:
In me behold the only skull,
From which, unlike a living head,
Whatever flows is never dull.

2
I liv'd, I lov'd, I quaff'd, like thee:
I died: let the earth my bones resign;
Fill up – thou canst not injure me;
The worm hath fouler lips than thine.

3
Better to hold the sparkling grape,
Than nurse the earth-worm's slimy brood;
And circle in the goblet's shape
The drink of Gods, than reptiles' food.

4
Where once my wit, perchance, hath shone,
In aid of others' let me shine;
And when, alas! Our brains are gone,
What nobler substitute than wine?

5
Quaff while thou canst: another race,
When thou and thine, like me, are sped,
May rescue thee from Earth's embrace,
And rhyme and revel with the dead.

6
Why not? Since through life's little day
Our heads such sad effects produce;
Redeem'd from worms and wasting clay,
This chance is theirs, to be of use

Newstead Abbey, 1808


No comments:

Post a Comment

"The Polaris Singularity" published

I'm proud to announce the publication of my latest book "The Polaris Singularity", which is the sequel to "Omni Genesis&q...